Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Grocery Store Diaries 4

The Grocery Store Diaries 4: When you have extra people with you

Dirty Looks: 3 in the parking lot, one in the meat section
You’ve got your hands full: o
Damage: None that I know of, but it is kind of like watching Hagrid’s three headed dog Fluffy at times.

Daddy went with us on Sunday after our weekly trip to Moe’s. That means that all three of them had a Moe’s balloon. Of course none of them wanted to give up the balloon and leave it in the car, so they carry them in the parking lot. Frances loses her balloon immediately and runs after it, in the rain, in the grocery store parking lot. Daddy runs after her while the boys start squirming to get away from me and follow dad.

Fortunately the Race Car cart is available so there is no crying about the unavailability of the cart. But there is a HUGE fight between the older two about who is going to push the cart, mom or dad. They finally decided they would let me push the cart like “normal days.” Thanks guys. They all agree to a seat when I hear the first “POP!” one balloon down, two to go. (Note: the toddler is under close supervision the entire time he has his own balloon, don’t email me.)

The older two sense a disturbance in the mommy force since daddy is with us, look at me with a wicked grin, and take off running. One insists we need cookies, the other one popsicles, and both boxes go in our normally fruit and vegetable filled cart (yeah right). In the mean time, the little one screams to eat everything as it goes in. I swear he can say “NOW!” This continues as they alternate between perfect angels sitting in the car cart and running around begging for junk they normally don’t get immediately.

The weirdest part was in the meat area, this woman was taking her time going through the chicken and staring at it like it was going to fly south for the winter. I’m not sure what she was looking for, but it made me think I should look closer before I throw the antibiotic free organic chicken in my cart. Then I remembered I had three kids hanging on me and I didn’t have time to do anything other than trust that the grocery store was selling me good poultry.

Of course with another adult, check out is smooth and loading the car in the rain is easier. Father of the year just doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about. Grrrrr

Today I picked my babysitter up from our old neighborhood, and before I drove home to the new neighborhood, I asked her if she would sit in the car with the kids while I ran in to the store and grabbed a few things. I had three on my list. She said sure no problem. I ran in and grabbed a basket. I was hunting for three things, but as I went around I kept throwing things in that I knew I needed. By the time I got to the check out, I was weighted down by the basket of “three things,” and had a case of diet coke in the other hand. I hobbled with all of it back to the parking lot. They looked at me like I was crazy, but it was a really quick trip and worth the upper arm workout.

It’s always fun to go to the store with other people…..

2 comments:

  1. I love to relive my boys' younger days through your grocery store travails. You may not believe this but one day you will look back and smile. Oh, you won't wish for a rehappening, but it will be pleasant memories. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you promise that one day the grocery store will be boring again?

    ReplyDelete