Those of you who go back and forth between the two blogs have had the privilege of meeting the "Lake guard" and his wife. To me they are everything that represents a small New England town. They shovel when it snows and they grill when it's warm. Don't ask them a question if you don't want an answer, but if you need any kind of help they will be the first to show up. Seriously-a shoulder to cry on or a gazebo to put up. It's them.
They frequently host neighborhood get togethers with their awesome lake dock and fire pit for roasting marshmallows. Here is the catch-they don't have kids.
I know you guys love it when I take my kids into a new environment. This is what happens when I take them to the "Lake guard's" cottage.
They go after the dog and all her toys. My three year old starts asking for the dog when we pull up in the driveway. "Tiki! Tiki!" My daughter starts to complain that the dog has more stuffed animals than she does. That could not be possible. After about thirty minutes, the dog goes and hides, but tonight I caught my son trying to get her to come out of the bedroom closet.
The kids know where all the candy is. They have two bubble gum machines, a box of peppermint patties, and three M&M dispensers. Mind you both of these adults are not overweight. I start grabbing candy and putting it in cabinets after the kids eat three handfuls each.
They only have flesh colored band aids. This confused my son as he really couldn't imagine anyone not wanting Yoda on a band aid-how could you heal without a Jedi using the force?
You have to change the channel or you walk in and your children may be watching Tosh.O or an episode of Law and Order.
I once put ten different breakable items in their bedroom. I don't think anything has been broken this season.
The husband tore up the pantry looking for MacnCheese for my daughter-he was about to boil pasta and make it from scratch before I told him it wasn't necessary.
And finally, I usually get one or two texts the next morning for toys and possibly shoes that my children left behind.
The best part? My children NEVER want to leave and can't wait to go back. Swinging in the hammock, sitting around the fire pit, playing with that dog...I hope they remember all of it forever.
Who is inviting us over next?
I wish my only relatives in town, young and childless, were as fun to visit for my son than yours. I hate going there because nothing, I mean nothing is baby proof, everything is breakable, and most of my visit is spent running after my 2 year old, screaming No!, sweating out of pure anxiety. Forget them being playful or understanding. My only consolation is they will have kids too one day...
ReplyDeleteI meant to say "were as fun to visit for my son AS yours".
ReplyDelete