Year: 1984
Theater: Friendly Center Greensboro, North Carolina
Who went?: Mom, Dad, Brother and Sister
There was a little girl my age two doors down. She had moved to North Carolina from Indiana and she only lived in NC for two years. It was fun to have a girl my age in the neighborhood. We had the 80s sticker books, we road our bikes to the park. We hid from the boys playing soccer in the street. There was one glitch. From the moment I met her until the moment she left, she had opinions. Her opinions usually reflected those of her mother, and she was always right.
Catholic school was better. Lindley Elementary was dirty and the education was horrible. She knew this because when we played school she was always the teacher and I never knew the answers to the questions she picked out. I was some kind of mad I had to go to public school after that. I wanted a cute uniform. That's not a bad idea now, a Catholic school uniform......
During the summers at the Green Valley pool, I had a black bathing suit and she had a pink one. So immediately I was told, "little children should never wear black. It was completely inappropriate." I wanted to go home and get rid of all of it.
Then one Saturday for fun, my family went to the movies. I'll give it to us-we were a fantasy/science fiction loving family. All five of us. No, we didn't stay a nuclear family but I'm not going to pretend like we never were. This is Lent reflection. We went to see The NeverEnding Story.
I loved it very much and was very excited to tell my little BFF all about this wonderful gem of a film. She didn't respond the way I thought she should. "We don't watch films like that. Why would some kid be riding some white thing through outer space? You can't breathe in outer space."
That did it.
Maybe she didn't get the wonder of escaping into a good book on a bad day like Bastian does to forget about the bullies. Perhaps she had never been consumed by "The Nothing." Because trust me, even at age ten, I understood that nothing was far worse than anger, hate, or sadness. It could be that she didn't have to keep wishing to make everything better and happy again-so that Atreyu would get his horse back. But I did.
"If you don't like it, find someone else to boss around...." and I took my Cabbage Patch doll home to have a tea party with my sister. It was never mentioned again. So much for NeverEnding.....
She left NC for CONNECTICUT two years later. We kept our friendship going through college and I don't think we ever agreed on fantasy movies ever-although we both thoroughly enjoyed Four Weddings and a Funeral ten years later! I wish she could see me in Connecticut, it would crack her up.
I'm starting with this one because the point is, watch what you want to watch. If you liked it, that is all that mattered. If a group of your buds are going off on how ridiculous they found a movie, either in the real world or the Facebook one-jump in and comment that you thought it rocked. It's your opinion. I don't go near anything with Meg Ryan. I fell asleep during Get Shorty. It's your time, memory, and money on the ticket. Don't change your opinion for someone else.
My second point-if you disagree, and you will every now and then because well, you will. Try to do it without stirring a strong emotion in the other person, K? K....
And just so everyone knows, I don't let Frances wear black....

No comments:
Post a Comment