Friday, April 6, 2012

38: A Good Pulp Fiction Friday

1994 and 1995
The Rialto twice
Mission Valley
The Studio twice
in Greensboro at the Janus
The Student Center in Sevilla, Spain
The dollar theater at least once


One Friday night, my super hyper college suite mate announced:

We have to see this movie!  We have to this movie! This movie changes everything you ever thought about movies. We have to see this movie!  YOU WILL LOVE IT!

What are you talking about?

You don't get it, John Travolta isn't John Travolta anymore!  And that the control center guy in Jurassic Park, he's in it too...They're gangsters!

Gangsters?  We are going to see a gangster movie?  

Let's go!  Call Amy!

Three sophomores from a Southern Baptist college for women that didn't allow boys or alcohol in the dorms were about to go see Pulp Fiction-two for the first time. 

 I'm not sure if we should have taken our friend Amy.  She gets mad when I say it, but I swear she almost fainted. I can still hear her now: Really Page?  Really?  If I were walking down the street and my head exploded, would you bust out laughing hysterically?  Really?

She didn't blame this on Deanna, she only zeroed in on me....

For the record, she did go see it with us one more time, but she did it for the English major inside her, that is what she told us anyway... :0)

I'm sure many people will roll their eyes when I say it, but watching that movie was a life changing moment for me.

For one thing, you don't have to do things in the normal way.  All the scenes are scrambled. I'll admit it, when my brother gave me the tenth anniversary edition on DVD, which Jeff and Maria still have from this summer, I hit the scenes and watched in chronological order.  My Pulp Fiction force was quite disturbed after that.  It felt icky to watch it from beginning to end in the right way.  Maybe that is way my forty movie theater stories have jumped around in age and space instead of starting with ET and moving forward.

My absolute favorite scene is when Butch is waiting at the stop light and Marsellus is randomly walking across the street from a bakery.  That is something that would happen to me.  The wrong/right people randomly come and go out of your life for all the wrong/right reasons at the wrong/right times.  All his girlfriend had to do was remember the watch. She forgot it, he went back, etc. and so on.

Each little action sets off one and then another.  We never, ever know what ties are going to bind us to any one person.  The solution is to never leave your house, but we can't do that and function on a daily basis. I also wouldn't cheat a head gangster that possibly might have pushed someone out a window over a foot massage, but that is just me.

This movie has so many wonderful stories from my past...

I was working for my aunt at a software company that summer. I was on the phone with a girlfriend planning to go and see Pulp Fiction, she overheard me and screamed, OH NO YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SEE THAT GARBAGE!  Did I dare tell her I had already been about five times?

I went to see it in Sevilla with Kysa, who had never seen it in English. She could not believe what was going on. She was from New Jersey, maybe gangsters weren't so glamorous there.

 I was at a baseball game with a group of girls and kept screaming that we had to be home by ten to watch E.R.  Not because I was all about George Clooney, but because Quentin Tarantino was directing that episode.

That Oscar year was a good one. Forrest Gump won almost everything, but Pulp Fiction came in very, very close behind.  Deanna's mother called us every five minutes to make sure we were watching!

My favorite quote:

  I do believe Marsellus Wallace, my husband, your boss, told you to take ME out and do WHATEVER I WANTED. Now I wanna dance, I wanna win. I want that trophy, so dance good.   Some people seem to think that Mia was an anti-feminist character. I say she wanted what she wanted and got it! 

I hope Julius did get to walk the earth like Kain, but who knows?

 Please, fundamentalist friends, forgive this comparison, but Pulp Fiction was my cinema Good Friday.

This movie changed the way I watched movies.

Seriously, this was when I began to see who was doing the acting, who was doing the writing, what colors and angles the director found important.  How the director told the others what to do.  Gone were the days of passively watching a story on the big screen. There was  a bigger purpose to the project.

After Pulp Fiction, I saw all movies differently.  Nothing before really mattered, and everything afterwards was a thousand times better because I was aware of this.

That is what Good Friday is all about.

Now, I'll just keep trying really hard to be a shepherd...or am I a shepherdess?







No comments:

Post a Comment