Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Happy Harry Potter Day....


*Warning and Disclaimer: I am a Harry Potter fan and have the right to write what I want. If it is too over the top for you and you can’t enjoy the entertainment of it-go read a foodie recipe blog and leave me alone.

Now….My Happy Harry Potter Day….

July 31, 2012- Harry Potter is 32 today.  It has been 15 years since he defeated the Dark Lord…wow.  That was the same year I graduated from college, got married, and started teaching in the public schools.  He and I sure have grown up.  Here I am in New York City..by myself.  I don’t have to be anywhere or answer to anyone. I have a ticket for Potted Potter tonight at seven. My ticket stub will say July 31st. Yay!!!

But what to do with an entire day for Harry Potter?  I’m not in London, but this is New York. I can find something Potter-like  to do. 

He was the Gryffindor Seeker-flying on a broom up high in the air….I need to hit the Empire State Building.  Sure, millions of tourists come up this high every year just to pretend they are watching a Quidditch match-right? They must.  I can’t be the only person who thought this.  I waited in the line and I walked the six flights from floor 80 to 86 because I thought it would be good cross training. I looked at all the views-no Quidditch, but I was up high. 

What next???

Hmmmm…Harry could speak Parsletongue.  He got mad and set a boa constrictor loose on his cousin.

 It was time to hit the Central Park zoo.

I saw all the snakes and not a one of them winked at me. That is actually a good thing, because if one of them had I would know for sure I was completely crazy. 



I was trying to find 3rd street after that, and stumbled across…



Honeyduke’s anyone?  Harry spent many a Galleon on the candies that only exist in the wizarding world.  I doubted I could find a Chocolate Frog that really jumped or Pepper Imps that would make me breathe fire or a Fizzing Whizbee  so I could levitate.  Instead,  I found lots of yummy treats that would force me to run not one but two marathons if I ate them all at once.

It was an awesome candy shop.  My only complaint is the name candies.  They never have my name spelled correctly and forget any of my children.  That’s not a completely bad thing if your goal is to be different.  So I’ll just drop it.

What they did have was an entire wall of Jelly Bellys-the Muggle equivalent of Bertie Bott’s.   I mixed my own bag of every flavor beans… popcorn, espresso coffee, margarita..:0)


All those sweets made me hungry for lunch.  What would Harry Potter have on his birthday?  He wouldn’t have a hotdog or a pizza slice.  He wouldn’t grab a gyro on the run.  I needed to find a pub.

I’ll try the Room of Requirement incantation and see what happens: I need to find a pub, I need to find a pub, I need to find a pub…

Just like that, an Irish one appeared out of nowhere.  Hmmmm Harry lived in Little Whinging and his house is now in London. Hogwarts is up in Scotland..but Seamus Finnegan came from Ireland!!!! Yay!  Ireland has a presence in the magical world-I can eat there.

Since I was alone, the hostess told me to sit at the bar.  I ordered the Shepherd’s pie and a Guinness for Harry Potter.

I didn’t notice the guy sitting next to me until he asked about the Olympic soccer match.

The small talk continued about what I done that morning and the play I was going to that night.  He looked at me, he looked at my candy bag, and he looked at the Guinness.

Then he said, “Are you on a Harry Potter mission today?”

“Yes.”  Since he figured it out why lie?

“Well, I’m a middle school English teacher –aren’t you glad you didn’t sit down next to an investment banker that would have thought you were crazy?”

“Uh…maybe?”

“What’s the next thing on your Harry Potter agenda?”

I had originally planned on having my red lochs blown dry straight like Hermione did before the Yule Ball with the Sleekeazy Hair Potion, but I wasn’t going to tell him that.

“Nothing until Potted Potter tonight at seven.”

“Would you like Irish Pub hop for Harry? I will have you at your theater in time for your play.”

Now everyone please don’t freak-I’m smart.  While he went to the bathroom,  I Googled his school-there he was in the English department.  The Room of Requirement sent me an English teacher that understood it was July 31st.  Never leave home without your iPhone.

My favorite part of the hop was McSorley’s-it’s a famous place-Seamus Finnegan would be proud….

 Yes…I made it to my play and it was AWESOME.  The Potted Potter parody is another example of how the fans can take the Potter world and make it their own.  These comedians took each book and told the story in seventy minutes with a lot of props, witty one-liners, and a Quidditch match in the middle.

You don’t have to go to the UK to have a Harry Potter day!

 All my stubs and receipts from that day say the 31st and reflect something from the Harry Potter world.

From now on, July 31st is better by than my own birthday. 

What a Patronus full of happy memories….

No comments:

Post a Comment