Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Grocery Store Diaries 2

If I am to do this Bridget Jones style, I’m going to do it right:

Dirty Looks: 4
“You’ve go your hands full” - 3
Break anything: 0


Today’s trip was all about teamwork, starting with digging through the carts for the police one. The Big Y now has your choice of toddler carts. Before it used to be a Fire engine only, but now you can also ride around in a taxi or a police car. Someone had returned a blue police car cart, and my son was not going to sit in anything else. So after I pulled out three other carts with a baby on my hip, everyone was happy in the cop cart.

Usually all you have to do is push your cart up and down the aisles, grab what you need according to your list, grab what you need according to your cravings, or grab what you need according to the sale price. My son on the other hand decides that we need to be a team about it. It was Frances’ turn to sit in the cop seat while the boys were in the front. Kenneth decided that she should hop out and pick up the food, and then she should hand it to me. THEN I should give it to him to throw in the cart. How many people does it take to throw food in the cart? The answer is three apparently. We did this around the grocery store and it didn’t get old and he didn’t give up. “Frances give it to mommy, mommy, give it to me, now watch me put it in the cart.” It did prevent fighting and biting and it killed a rainy Saturday afternoon, so there you go.

The baby did decide to scream over a yogurt cup I wouldn’t let him eat today, since now I know his game, just in time for two little old ladies to look up and say, “What is that screaming?” Did babies in the 50s really act that much better? I doubt it.

The trip could have been worse, team work drags it out but definitely made it less of a headache.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously. Why do mothers who obviously raised their children in the 50s act SO high and mighty? Were they not drunk, chain-smoking, phone-talking fools whose children raised themselves?

    I have been reading you regularly. Still LOVE it.

    PS- Did you just recently update your sidebar? Hilarious.
    -hmb

    ReplyDelete