Twilight author Stephenie Meyer is a symbol for all of us stay at home moms. We actually have something going on in our heads and other women want to read it. One of my favorite things about her is that she writes to “playlists.” Like always, I need to back up. I got into trouble with some colleagues about four years ago because I allowed students to listen to iPods during a test. The principal sent out a nasty letter saying that they couldn’t be allowed to do this. I don’t know if this was coincidence or if I was tattled on, bygones anyway. After the note, I told my students, no more music. I agreed with them that it helped them focus, but the powers that be say no, so I say no. Those kids never had an iPod in class again, I’ll give them that. No harm, no foul. Enter this woman three years later reinforcing what I said back then. The music helps you concentrate. Duh…..
Everything she writes has a playlist, and I am beginning to think she is becoming the Oprah Winfrey book club for bands. It is a good thing to be on a Stephenie Meyer play list. I can’t imagine some idiot band saying, “No thank you Steph. Please remove us from your website and we could care less if we inspired the third paragraph on page 321.” Yeah right.
I am not a big music person; I don’t know what is good and what isn’t. My high school sweet heart ended up being a music producer in New York, so you would think this would have rubbed off a little, but all that came of it is that I can tell you that the three members of Rush are Alex Lifeson, Neal Peart, and Geddy Lee. And incidentally, Neal is and always will be the best drummer in the world. See? I listened somewhat. That was the 90s. I think in my car right now I have the Imagination Movers, a Kindermusik CD, and the soundtrack from the musical Chicago for the off chance that I am alone in a car. But this playlist thing is kind of a cool concept. If my daughter and I were to have a play list, this is how our journey would look so far.
P.S.-some of these songs flat out suck. I am not trying to be corny or a copycat, I swear. No one can copy the great Meyer nor should they try. I am just trying to put this in terms so that others can relate. Don’t read my list if you don’t want to.
P.S.S.-Most of these songs seem to be focused on 90s music, so I will call this my daughter's life according to the 90s playlist. Like I said, I haven’t really been able to pick my own music since October of 2003. Please forgive the theme…..
My Girl-I loved her from the day she was born
Good Riddance Green Day-When I changed jobs to have more time with her
Can’t get it right today Joe Purdy-When she wasn’t walking or talking. You are the mom. It's going to be your fault some how, forever. Sorry....don't give up.
Fields of Gold Eva Cassidy’s version- Kenneth is born, it is obvious that he is very different, can’t ignore it
Cornflake Girl-Tori Amos All the little girls were coloring, she would dance. This isn’t always a bad thing.
You-Candle Box – Taking her to appointments and therapies, it took a lot out of me.
Bullet with Butterfly Wings-Smashing Pumpkins-Nothing seemed to be working, no one would give me answers, I felt a LOT of rage.
Long December- Counting Crows- In Pittsburgh, we finally got an autism diagnosis. I had reason to believe that maybe this year would be better than the last.
Closer to Fine-The Indigo Girls- We are getting there
Mysterious Ways-U2- It’s all right, and she really does move in mysterious ways.
Wonder-Natalie Merchant She will make her way, she already is.
Sorry if some of those songs made you music people gag and cringe. Every now and then I have to do something stupidly mother-like or I will lose my license.
Do you have a playlist? For your autism journey? Your Down Syndrome journey? Any journey really? I don't care what kind of music you like either. It can be country music: Sugarland (They have a Yo Gabba Gabba! Dancey Dance, by the way), Toby Keith, and Kenny Chesney for all I care. You can make a classical list. It's your play list. I don't think millions of little girls are going to go out and buy the CDs because you told them to, but still, it's your journey and your music.
I loved this post b/c I am a huge music person but not really a music snob. I'll even admit that I have the One Tree Hill soundtracks. Yes call me gay or silly but I love the music on that show. I think everyone should have a playlist for their life. Mine would include a few Beatles songs, Duran Duran, Keane, The Fray, Tori Amos, Janis Joplin. The list would go on forever!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Betty! Keep it coming.
ReplyDeleteI love your playlist! Right now, mine would have this series of nursery rhymes set to Greatful Dead tunes which makes them bearable enough to listen to in the car; Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Snow", which was playing when Julia was born; Dave Matthews Band's "Stay" was playing when Lauren was born; Britney Spears' "Circus" because that is what life pretty much IS these days, and would finish off with a raucous version of "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse", because we have been sucked into the Disney time- space continuum, not to be released until the girls are at least 12. I really miss "my" music....
ReplyDeleteand then there is pre-adolescence. Like I said earlier, I didn't know she knew who the Jonas Brothers were until she picked up the backpack and named them. I have never heard them sing....
ReplyDelete