Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What is a snow plow?

Another example of being southern in the north:

Plow man: Hello?
Me: Yes sir, my friend Mary O'Brian gave me your phone number I'd like you to plow my driveway.
Plow man: Who? The O'Connells?
Me: No, the O'Brians-they said you were reasonable.
Plow man: OK, I'll come give you an estimate.
Me: Are you going to bring the shovel thing?
Plow man: You mean my truck? You need it done now?
Me: Yes
Plow man: Nobody plowed from the last snow?
Me: No, I just stayed home until it melted.
(LONG PAUSE)
Plow man: OK, but normally you set it up with an estimate and a contract for the winter.
Me: You mean it's going to snow again?
(LONG PAUSE)
Plow man: Are you new to the area?
Me: Moved from North Carolina, yes.
Plow man: Normally, people prefer me to come if we get three inches or more.
Me: Three inches? You get that much?
(ANOTHER LONG PAUSE)
Plow man: I'll bring my "snow stuff" and plow you out, then I will tell you how much it is and if you are happy I will do it when you call, or we can agree to a contract.
Me: OK, thank you sir.
Plow man: (LAUGHING) You are welcome, "Ma'am."

Well, I can get out of my driveway now.....

4 comments:

  1. HILARIOUS.
    That would be me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly inspiring. Barbara Kingsolver will be presenting writers' workshops at the San Miguel Writers Conference in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico February 19-23 2010. I just signed up. It looks like a rare opportunity to meet her. Are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my dreams. But enjoy the chance to bask in her brilliance. I only have time for vampire fluff and trips to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was hilarious! when i moved to providence and went to the diner on my block, i drawled, "do y'all have greeyuts?" they did not. however... cody's diner in new haven does!

    ReplyDelete