I had every intention and my husband's permission to write a tribute to Glee and Rocky Horror and the time I got dumped by a conservative Republican after going to a midnight show. It was going to be so funny I was hoping someone would drop their laptop. But my children have hijacked me again, like they tend to do....it started with a transformer who calls himself Bumblebee. Before I begin, why is a big bad robot thingy called Bumblebee and not Stag Beetle or even Cockroach? Yellow Jacket or even Hornet gives me a bolder image. I'm so lazy sometimes I can't even google the big important questions.
I tried to be organized this Halloween season and hit the Halloween store October 1st. My daughter picked out a fairy and my son the yellow transformer. All was well with the world and I could pat myself on the back that I had the task down, even if I wasn't super mom with creative homemade costumes-skip over to Crying Daddy for that, his wife is a dynamo (has to be to live with that man....).
What I forgot was that Halloween is one day, October 31st. Halloween costumes are made to be worn one day, October 31st. My child wanted to be Bumblebee Cockroach from October 1st-October 29th. On the 29th I realized he was running around the playroom with the thing falling apart and the mask was cracked everywhere. Grrrrrr
At first I told him to dig around in the dress up box until he found something suitable. But he hit me hard below the belt. He played the one card that my three biological children and every student I have ever taught since 1998 knows they can play.
"Mom-I would love nothing more than to be a Harry Potter with you."
The Halloween Express store is not the place you want to be on October 30th.
It was packed and it reminded me of a Christmas tree lot full of Charlie Brown pine needles and there wasn't a blanky in the world that was going to cut it. We found a clerk who pointed us in the Harry Potter direction, but only the accessories were left: Scarves, wands, and glasses. No robes.
Fortunately for Kenneth, he didn't have some semi-knowledge Harry Potter Mama. His mama went into labor with him during Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and finished the movie. Before he even shed one tear, I told him he could be "Summer Holiday Harry" and wear one of his father's ratty sweaters so it looked like he had a Dudley hand me down on. This idea was wonderful for my child who while trick or treating today told any adult that would listen, "I'm wearing this sweater because the Dursleys are jerks." Thanks baby. You made me proud.
I suppose everyone thinks it was easy to just grab glasses, scarves, and a wand and get out of there. But no, nothing is ever easy, even when the baby is in the car with Daddy. Kenneth looked at the wands and said,
"I'm supposed to try each one right? One is supposed to match me, right?" I had to explain that they were toys for Halloween. He looked shocked but went with it.
Then at check out, the guy looked like he was working to support his habit if you know what I mean, but Kenneth has to bust out with "Now, you are sure this has a phoenix feather inside, correct?" I am floored by his knowledge but can't help but realize people are looking at me like I'm a loony toon.
He took it out of the box after we left the store and took it to eat lunch. This is when I scared myself a little with my Harry Potter knowledge. Kenneth was flicking his wand and asking me questions.
"Hey Mom! How do I open the door?"
"Alohomora!"
"Mom, how do I put the light out?"
"Nox"
"It's too loud-how do we get it quiet?"
"Quietus."
Then it was time to eat and put the wand away-but not before the couples at the other tables had had a good laugh!
I hope that wherever you are you had a wonderful Halloween. Nothing is more meaningful than sharing something you love with someone you love-be it a sports team, a hobby, or even the love of a book series!
And to all the Lily Mamas, the Molly Mamas, and even the Petunias and their Diddys- may your Patronus be strong and your dementors be few!
No comments:
Post a Comment