Sunday, October 30, 2011

Snow in October....

I had never heard of snow in October-ever.

Until Yesterday.

So what do I know now that I didn't know before?  Which cliche should I go with?  To live is to see it happen? Nothing is impossible? To never say never? Did I really need Mother Nature to remind me of something I should have learned a long time ago? I guess I did or it wouldn't have happened.  That's my new philosophy.

We played in the slush for about an hour. I really had it in my head that it wasn't going to last very long, then I started reading Facebook updates about "Noreasters" and "Power out."  Crap-better do everything I possibly need to get done before we are sitting in the dark freezing in feet pajamas.

The kids and I decided to carve our Jack-o-Lantern.  That's right-let's make a huge mess in the kitchen just in case we lose power.  I didn't think that maybe the power would go out in the middle of the project and I would be stuck with three kids, pumpkin pulp, and carving knives in the dark.  Fortunately that didn't happen.

My children can't just carve a pumpkin-they have to plan it. They got out crayons and paper and sketched Jack-o-Lantern after Jack-o-Lantern until they had exactly what they wanted me to carve.



Those are kind of hard to see-but think of how many sketches Picasso did to finally reach the Guernica!


I learn so much from the north and my days in this town with my three children-slow down, expect the unexpected, and if you are going to make a mistake-do it on a piece of paper instead of the big orange gourd.

Because the last place I wanted to be yesterday was driving back to Bishop's for another pumpkin in the snow....

No comments:

Post a Comment