Saturday, June 9, 2012

2: Run Lola Run...




This is a little German gem from the late 90s.  Before this I had only seen the work of Wem Wenders, I was seriously lacking in the German film department. My apologies. Scotland was getting a lot of my attention back then-Shallow Grave, Trainspotting...Berlin was off my radar. 

Until this brightly colored redhead took off on a twenty minute run to get her boyfriend 100,000 Deutschmarks before a gangster kills him.  Obviously the film was made before the Euro.  She does this run in a weird tank top thing and black boots.  Wow.

I say my life changes with each text.  Lola got a phone call.  The landline phone rings in her parent's apartment and she answers it. That was mistake number one. Don't answer the phone. Of course, there was no caller ID.  Her boyfriend tells her she has until noon to help him. She looks at the clock-it's 11:40.   This triggers the run that reminds me of a 5K sprint.

It actually becomes three twenty minute runs with three alternate courses she can take to get to that phone booth with a bag of money by noon. It's a really funky groundhog day minus Bill Murray before he hooked up with Wes Anderson.  Like I said, technology has advanced. She could have texted him, "I have it-I'm on my way.  Don't shoot anyone." But where is the fun and exercise in that?


The big question is:  if it had been Lola in the phone booth, would Manni have answered the phone or responded to the text? That's easy-no. Oh I'm sorry baby, did you text me?  It must have been off...

If you need a really good  speed workout, set an impossible task and try and beat the clock. Do it three times and see if the journey to the place is different. I have gotten cash to a book fair as my child was walking in with his class.  Does that count?


I want to sit Lola down and help her pick a better shade of red next time she decides to join the club. 

I also want to take a run through Berlin.  Tic toc...

No comments:

Post a Comment