Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ordinary Marathon Times

I started running seriously in November of 2001.  I can't believe that was almost eleven years and a completely different lifetime ago.  Most people who run love it and really can't live without it.  I still don't know how I handled anything before I discovered it.

Flashforward to three children and a new location, and the next step in my running life was the marathon-26.2 miles. I am registered and training-that is where we begin. But if I was putting energy into that, what about my blog?  I have three children and a full time job and volunteer with an autism association.  Something has to give, even if women all over the world would just freak if they didn't have my ramblings to read!  Ha ha ha so not true.  Everybody finds something else to read.

There are blogs about blogs.  There are parenting blogs, autism blogs, foodie blogs, and indeed, mommies doing marathon blogs.  My blog has morphed many a time.  Sometimes it is about my inability to keep up with my three brilliant children. In Advent, I turn into this Christmas card type letter thing that goes on for 25 days.  Over Lent I decided to expose my film watching practices. 

I wasn't going to be able to keep a blog going...unless... I blogged...about...the training...hmmm

Should I share my marathon training in a way only Page could?  I can't write about running and exercising.  That just won't work. I am not a size zero.  I don't wear a weighted vest and run in my bikini bottom while I push all three children in a specialized jogging stroller up hill after hill.  My miles are eleven minutes at their worst, nine at their best.  I still haven't decided how to cross train yet and I don't know what tempo and speedwork mean, really.

When it comes to running, I am....ORDINARY....

Now all my dear Catholic and Episcopalian friends-what falls in the Liturgical calendar right after Pentecost?

Ordinary Times...

This year, that means:

May 23- November 28th-that covers the entire time I train for the race and the recovery time afterwards.  Wow...

Don't you just love it when everything falls into place?

So this is going to be an Ordinary kind of marathon blog.  I ramble about anything having to do with the subject of running and relate it back to something happening to me. By now you guys should know I can do that.  Unlike Lent and Advent, it will NOT be every day-I have to keep it simple, but watch that change.  Simple and ordinary are relative terms.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment