Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Goodnight Moon

It has been a while since my darlings and I have butchered story time. Since the toddler has now joined us in this bedtime ritual, we recently did Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. Who didn’t get a copy of Goodnight Moon at a baby shower, if not two or three? This book is going to be around forever. Whether your kids sleep with you until they are eight or you put them in the crib from day one, we lull the little munchkins to sleep with the stars, the air, and the noises everywhere. I don't know if whoever wrote the Waltons was a Goodnight Moon fan, but the only time I hear "Goodnight" over and over again is in this children's book and the end of that television show. We even have the book in Spanish and French. Here is how we read it, and once again, I have written it "Skit style."

P: In the great green room…
F: Green? How ugly. I want a pink room.
K: Oh!!!! Can I paint my room black?
P: There was a telephone….
K: Blackberry or iPhone? It doesn’t look like Dad’s…
P: And a red balloon
F: (singing) 99 red balloons…
P: Don’t do it Franny
K: I want a yellow one, Frances do you remember that time you let mine go and it got caught in at tree?
P: And a picture of
F: A cow jumping over the moon.
K: Where is the rest of the nursery rhyme? Why the cow? My favorite part is the dish and the spoon.
F: That isn’t real-but a dog could probably laugh.
P: And a comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush…..
K: Didn’t he brush his teeth? He is going to get a cavity
L: Night Night! Night Night!
P: Goodnight nobody, Goodnight mush
K: Why say goodnight to nobody?
F: Why not?
K: Let’s say goodnight to everything in our rooms. Goodnight Harry Potter books, goodnight violin, hey mom, I don’t have any clothes drying out. Did you do the laundry?
F: Daddy won’t let us have stuff lying around to say goodnight to.
K: Oh right
F: Goodnight princesses, goodnight wiggle sheets.
L: Night night! Night night!

This one is so special to me. Because I will always cherish my babies being rocked and read to.... Ha ha ha just kidding. I love it because Christopher Walken read it on the Simpsons. Forget his scenes in Pulp Fiction. Never mind the brilliance that was the Deer Hunter. He read to children on the iconic cartoon television show. Way to go Walken-could you handle my three as a crowd?

What classic shall we read next?

1 comment: