My daughter is the youngest granddaughter on her father's side and the only granddaughter on my side of the family. Between me and her two grandmothers, she always left the house looking like a children's catalog model for the first seven years of her life.
I don't know what happened when she turned age seven. Maybe it was an independence thing, maybe it was a mother/daughter thing, maybe it was something else, but she wanted to dress herself and the choices weren't always what I would have picked.
This became a full blown war about a year ago. I won't lie, there were days when I gave in and let her wear what she wanted only to receive a call from the school to bring her something else. There were days when I won the war and she pouted all the way to school because her socks matched and her bottom was covered.
This year I have kind of given her choices to mix and match, and although I still wouldn't have chosen it, everything is comfortable, on the right way, and seasonably appropriate.
Sunday is another issue. We go to church. The southerner in me doesn't miss church. This was the one day a week she wanted to wear jeans. I had to put a stop to that too.
Among all the Hip Hop pants and Justice bling, I have made sure she has one nice quality skirt. It's called a Flippin Skirt, and it was made by two super mama friends of mine who also happen to be sisters. Check out their website here.
This morning she came out of her room wearing a mini skirt I wouldn't let an 8th grader out of the house in and a t-shirt with a sequin peace sign on it.
"Try again Frances..."
Then she came out yet again in a Christmas gown we bought her for extra special occasions-I'm sure her daddy will take her when he wins that Nobel Prize...
"Try again Frances...."
Then she came out in a sweatshirt from two years ago with a pair of jeans on.
"Just kidding Mommy, I'll be right back..."
Finally, she put this little gem together that restores my faith in her fashion gene:
That is her flippin' skirt and because it is made with such fine fabrics I know she can wear it probably until the fourth grade. She will be wearing it again next week for the Christmas pageant and most definitely when she sings at the Epiphany service.
Whenever we need to look extra nice, we will pull it out. No arguing...
Of course Frances, being Frances, had to one up me and out-do me somehow.....
Pink hair anyone???? (Dollar Tree during nutcracker hunt)
Get a flippin' skirt for your diva, or for the times you need a diva....


No comments:
Post a Comment