Every time I read the Christmas chapters in book three, I can see the little village covered in snow at Christmas time. I want to join the crowd at the pub with a warm butter beer or have a snow ball fight on the Hogwarts grounds. I think that living in Guilford and wandering around the town green decorated for the holidays is as close as I am going to get to Hogsmede...
This is my favorite book and movie for several reasons. I love Alfonso Cuaron, the director. I love the idea of a Patronus-a spell that protects you from complete sadness. (Mine is a Chow dog). I love that the trio is now old enough to pick "electives" for their classes. I love that they are old enough to visit Hogsmede, the all wizarding village. I love the time turner, I love Aunt Marge blowing up, I love divination, I love the Knight Bus, I love Lupin being a werewolf, I love the Marauder's Map....I love....I love... I love...
I love that Harry has a Godfather!
I didn't pick any of the Godparents for my children lightly. Not that anyone should do it the Page way, but I asked myself-who would I want to be my family? And I made them God Parents to my children.
Christmas morning Harry wakes up to the Firebolt broomstick gift. It was an incredible gift for a couple of reasons- 1) It meant a lot to him as a Quidditch player and 2) It was very expensive and very few people spend that kind of money on someone randomly.
It was given without a note and checked for jinxes, but we later find out that good Sirius Black, his Godfather, had done it for him.
Other than your parents, only a Godparent would do something like that. How do I know? I know because Frances' Godmother finds ways to send her gifts from all of her travels-London, Greece, Italy. And Kenneth's Godparents drove eleven hours to get here for Thanksgiving. Lowell's Godfather, one of my favorite cousins, shares my taste in music and movies, because I gave it to him when he was ten...
That Firebolt was Harry's first real "commercial" gift. He had been given crap by the Dursleys and loving hand made gifts from Mrs. Weasley, but this time someone that loved him very much gave him a gift he knew that Harry would love very much. There are times when we spend money on the right things and they are loved and appreciated by the right people. When that extra special gift arrives, it makes the season and the Advent wait that much more powerful. How long did Harry have to wait for someone that close to arrive in his life?
Everything in book three points toward love, compassion, and help when it's needed...that includes a Godfather's Christmas gift...
When I have to buy an extra special gift for an extra special person, I remember Sirius giving Harry the Firebolt...what a happy thought to produce a beautiful patronus!
No comments:
Post a Comment