Tuesday, March 13, 2012

18: True Lies

August, 1994
Blue Ridge Dollar theater, Raleigh, NC
with: Deanna and Amy


I know what you are a thinking about this one.  You are probably thinking, "Someone never knows what someone else is doing, even your husband."  Right?  Nope...this is never about the movie, this is about what was happening to me while going to see the movie.

I came back to Meredith College a day late.  I missed move in day.  I had traveled a lot during the summer of '94-Ecuador, Hawaii...I'd been busy and forgot to go back to school.

When I did finally arrive on that beautiful all female campus, and all my boxes and things were back in  my room, and my boy was on his way back to Asheville, two very special friends showed up and made it very clear I wasn't going to open a single box.

It went like this:

"Yay!  Page is back!"

"How was Ecuador? Can you speak Spanish fluently?"

"Twenty bucks she learned more than Spanish..."

"Actually guys... I need to unpack..."

"Not tonight you don't..."

"Excuse me?"

"We're going to the movies, get in the car!"

"I can't go anywhere, I have to unpack!"

"No you don't, all this crap will be here in the morning...let's go."

"Fine, what are we watching?"

"True Lies"

"You mean Arnold Schwarzenegger? We are going to see an Arnie film? And we are going to pay for it?"

"It isn't your average Arnie flick.... it's supposed to be awesome...we are going now... grab your wallet, .... I SAID NOW!"

And just like that, I turned around and left a dorm filled with boxes and suitcases that were going to remain unopened until the following morning.....

And you know what? It was a really fun movie, Tom Arnold included....

The point is this:  sometimes you have to leave what needs to be done and do something else.  It didn't matter if those boxes were still there that night, they weren't there fall break.

And one other lesson-most men are computer salesmen....

 




No comments:

Post a Comment