Friday, March 16, 2012

20: Irish Cinema 101



OK, where to begin with this one?  I have a really long list of Irish movies, but I can't clearly remember going to see any of them in an actual theater.  For each movie, there is always a loop hole that keeps them from being 100% Irish.

I could just bust out with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and The Irish playing in the Quidditch World Cup Final -Connolly! Ryan! Troy! Mullet! Moran! Quigley! Aaaaaand ---Lynch! Technically, they were the better team, Krum was just the better Seeker.  And everyone by now knows what happened that time I went to the movies-I had a baby the next morning.

I could take the easy way out and talk about watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People in Robinson Illinois because it was on HBO all day every day back in the day, and we would sing the song out of tune and with the wrong lyrics and freak when the banshee came for Katie, but that won't work because Sean Connery is actually Scottish, not Irish...and that throws me off.  Disney didn't care about authenticity.

I know! I know! -I saw The Devil's Own in a movie theater. That was post-12 Monkeys Brad Pitt, so I liked him and he was an IRA Terrorist hiding in the United States, except....oops...He's from Missouri.

Braveheart was filmed in Ireland, but if I mention that I'll have 101 know-it-alls tell me it isn't taking place in Ireland but Scotland because I don't know that......


In America  was excellent...except it was in America...Djimon Housou was phenomenal.

Then there is The Butcher Boy, The Secret of Roan Inish, and The Magdalene Sisters, but all three of those are pretty bizarre.

 I could take the sap/sweet route, and say This is My Father, Waking Ned Divine, or Once. But I'm not in a feel good mood right now.

Let's get political: In the Name of The Father, Michael Collins, Some Mother's Son, or Veronica Guerin.  I'm not in the mood to go there either...

Just to end this where I began it:  Thank you Fiona Shaw, Kenneth Branagh, Brenden Gleeson, Domhnhall Gleeson, Evanna Lynch, and Devon Murray for representing Ireland in the Harry Potter franchise.

I give up...I'm going to ask my neighbor if I can borrow his copy of The Boondock Saints, I never saw it. I hear those brothers were fluent in many languages.

WOW...

No comments:

Post a Comment