Saturday, March 17, 2012

21: Friends with Kids

March 17, 2012
with: A new friend
Madison Arts Cinemas

It seems kind of funny to see a movie about having kids when you have kids at home you could see for real, but I was intrigued.  The basic premise is: two friends skip all the romance and relationship building and go straight to parenthood-split the child 50/50 and everything works out because there is no drama or resentment.  

HMMMM......

Well, all I can say is humans are complicated.  You have to go the way it works for you.  If this works for them, fine. I've known a lot of people and I've seen a lot of dynamics.  I wouldn't trade places with anyone, I can handle what I have just fine. 

Whether you are a single parent, a happily married parent, a step-parent,  a parent that co-parents very well with the other parent- whatever you are, you will laugh out loud at least once or twice during this film.  Kids change everything.  Not always a bad thing, but always part of it.

This movie reminded me that you are going to look at the way other people do it and compare yourself. You shouldn't, but you will. Again, I don't want to trade with anyone else.  Everyone in this house is out of the baby phase-no diapers, no sippy cups, no plastic dishes.  Everyone can dress themselves and brush their teeth.  It was  a good time, but now we are building Legos and reading fairy books. 

The other reason I wanted to see this movie is that it was written and directed by a woman.  I love women that write and direct their own films: Julie Delpy, Sofia Coppola, Jane Campion, Agnieszka Holland, and now this new girl Jennifer Westfeldt.  

Jennifer Westfeldt?  How do I know that name?  Let me check her on the IMDb....I put that on my phone, boy was that a mistake....

click click ok, there she is...I didn't watch Notes from the Underbelly as I was done with anything coming out of my belly, Kissing Jessica Stein was awesome, let's see a little more..get out no way...

She is from Guilford!

Oh my, this chickadee grew up here and is in a relationship with John Hamm from Mad Men and cast him in her movie. 

If they come visit, they better not stop traffic on the green and get in the way of me getting my latte or new boots from Trudy's.

Wait a minute, I can walk to the green now- so they can do whatever they want.  That's a relief.

Women and motherhood and friendship and writing and directing and complications?  

It doesn't get more Guilford than that.

1 comment:

  1. Chris (little bro) sent me a text a few nights ago telling me I was on IMDb. Not everything I did in my past life is on there, but it's still cool to have my name intermingled with some of the greats!

    ReplyDelete