July, 1996
Mission Valley, Raleigh, North Carolina
with my cousin Matthew
Prologue-December, 1993 at Meredith College on my answering machine, yes, it was a little black box plugged into the wall. The light was blinking, this was before my one of my two roommates broke it, and I still don't know how the heck she did that:
Hey girls! It's Alice, Page's Mama, anyway, I just wanted to let you three know that kid from Fresh Prince of Bel Air, I think his name is Will, well he can really act. No kidding, I just saw him in this movie, called, wait.. Six Degrees of Separation, and Page, I think he is going to be a big star, so go see that movie and seriously, he wasn't rapping at all. OK, love you bye!
When is my mother going to quit giving her opinions to everyone else? Will Smith? Will Smith who sang Parents Just Don't Understand? Whatever...
Fine, so she was right...
Three years later, I took my thirteen year old cousin to see Will's first blockbuster action film. Will made Independence Day an enjoyable film for me. What I remember off the top of my head is him screaming at the dead alien, "I could have gone to a barbecue!" I understand, priorities....
So, my mom was right...Will Smith can act.
It was a great action film and a wonderful time...I didn't make my cousin the Godfather of my third child for nothing!
What I respect about Will Smith is that family comes first. The night he was nominated for the Oscar as Muhammad Ali, the nanny called and said Willow had a fever. They left. It doesn't matter what the Academy says, my baby is sick. Always put family before a job, no matter what the job is.
My mom is right about that too...So, my mom was right...Will Smith can act.
It was a great action film and a wonderful time...I didn't make my cousin the Godfather of my third child for nothing!
What I respect about Will Smith is that family comes first. The night he was nominated for the Oscar as Muhammad Ali, the nanny called and said Willow had a fever. They left. It doesn't matter what the Academy says, my baby is sick. Always put family before a job, no matter what the job is.

No comments:
Post a Comment