Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 22: Cookie Time!

I'm not a very good cook, but baking makes sense to me. You measure out the ingredients, mix it together, pre-heat the oven, set the timer, and it's done!  Now I don't get too terribly complicated with my baking choices, but still, it is something I can handle with three little helpers.

This doesn't mean I don't have baking disasters. Last year my best friend and I attempted to make cupcakes for my son's birthday and the mixer caught on fire.  There was also the time Frances helped me crack eggs and according to China, we had a lot of good luck in that cookie batch.

All my buddies on Facebook have been having "baking" status updates. Between the ones that are baking and the ones that have everything wrapped, I feel way behind.  But I have to say, I have participated in a few baking projects this Advent season.

The first one was actually bake free, so it doesn't count but I'll mention it anyway: apple sauce cinnamon Christmas ornaments. Frances, Kenneth, and I mixed and mixed apple sauce into the cinnamon until it finally got thick enough. Then we rolled it out and made gingerbread men ornaments.  The only problem was how long it took to get them to dry.  My children lost patience. But they did end up being really cute and we put them on purple ribbons to hang on the tree!

Then we decorated sugar cookies.  The baby loved it and did a wonderful job with the gum drops.   I couldn't remember if we should  decorate them before or after we bake them. Again, we didn't leave quite enough space between the cookies and a few of them were bigger than they should have been. Either way, they were yummy!

I'm going to bake more next year. I'll even host a cookie swap!  Winner goes to the cookie that doesn't taste like a rock...

No comments:

Post a Comment