Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 8: Oysters

Everyone knows what is going to be on the table at a family member's house. Friends had a Thanksgiving episode every season that it aired and it usually centered around Monica's kitchen and what everyone looked forward to eating.  Anyone who celebrates anything has one thing they look forward to eating. For me, it was the scalloped oysters.

My first oyster memory is being four years old and going to the state fair in North Carolina with my grandparents and two younger aunts.  I'm sure the boy who grew up to be my uncle tagged along.  There was a booth with a tank full of oysters in it.  My grandmother picked one out with tongs and the man pried it open.  Then they squeezed and squeezed until two pearls came out of the gunk that I now know is the delicious edible part.   My grandmother still has the necklace with those two pearls plus some gold beads that she added.  Too bad we didn't get to eat it.

I loved the scalloped oysters every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Why am I speaking in the past tense?  Easy! "Scalloped"  doesn't just apply to the oysters.  "Scalloped" means butter, heavy cream, and cheese.  All the FAT of the holidays is in that one delectable dish.  It also explains what happens to your body after you eat them.  Your butt gets scalloped, your tummy scalloped, your arms and cheeks look just as scalloped and puffy as the dish.  DO you really need that?

Here is the recipe:

1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup butter, melted
1 quart oysters, drained, reserving 8 tablespoons of liquid
4 cups heavy cream
2 cups saltine crackers, crushed

Preheat the oven to 450.  Mix bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle in a buttered shallow dish.  Place half the oysters over the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle oysters with half of the oyster liquid and half of the heavy cream. Repeat with one more layer.  THEN top it with the crushed saltines and bake for 30 minutes.

I am desperately searching for a low fat alternative, but like I said on peppermint mocha day, it is the holiday season and if you run for an hour I'm sure your butt will avoid some scalloping.  It is also about portion control.  One little spoonful won't send you to the bathroom with your finger down your throat, I hope.

I think on my next date night out my husband and I will go to a seafood place and order an appetizer of oysters on the half shell. Ten calories each-no heavy cream.

I can't wait to read Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There with the kids-the poor little oysters didn't see the Walrus and the Carpenter coming!  Yum.....

No comments:

Post a Comment