My first Christmas here I was in newborn coma, so we did not go to the tree lighting. The second year was the year of the H1N1 scare, so we didn't go to the tree lighting. This year, Everyone can walk and talk. Last night, we hit the tree lighting.
First, I parked in a friend's driveway so I wouldn't have to drive for an hour looking for a parking spot. Twenty minutes was spent bundling up. I don't think I ever used half of all the winter clothing that exists when I lived in North Carolina. I made sure all three of them had on thick coats, vests, gloves, and hats that actually covered their ears. Once bundled, I walked twice around the car to make sure that we left no trash on their lawn. :0) If we did, sorry Di....
Once we made it to the library, Frances began to get nervous. "It's a crowd Mommy, it's a crowd." She doesn't do crowds and I try to avoid them, but I also try to find ways to help her when she has no choice.
"Frances, we are going straight to our church." I could feel the anxiety leaving her the minute I said a familiar place. We all held hands on the sidewalk and made it to the church where the youth were selling Advent Wreaths and hot chocolate and inside dinner was going. Once she was there, she was able to eat and enjoy the people she was familiar with, and more importantly, they are familiar with her. It worked for her.
But she isn't an only child.
The other two are looking across the street at the center of the green with so much excitement and anticipation. "Mama! Mama! Let's go! Let's go! Santa Claus is there! COME ON!"
But she wouldn't go, "No thanks Mommy." She tries really hard to be polite about the whole thing and not throw a tantrum. So both, yet again, have needs I can't simultaneously meet.
"She can stay with me." Said the other Sunday school teacher I have worked with for two years now (not some random stranger-don't anyone panic).
I took the boys to the green and said "Merry Christmas" and "Happy holidays" to lots of random people I have met over the last two years. Does this make me a Who down in Who-Ville?
I had the baby on my shoulders and the countdown started-he has been in Birth to Three long enough to start counting with his brother. 5....4....3....2......1 and the lights are on the tree!
Everyone clapped and cheered and the boys were laughing. The baby was talking in complete sentences on my shoulders, "Look Mommy! The tree is lit! The tree has colors!"
And Frances, being Frances, had watched from a safe place for her, in the church parking lot, with my friend, and had had just as much fun. It was a cold walk back, but the car was nice and warm.
If I had done this two years ago, the experience would not have been the same. I would not have had a friend's driveway to park in. I would not have known anyone to help me avoid a meltdown. I wouldn't have had anyone to wish anything to. I more than likely would have severely under-dressed all of us and everyone would have been running back to the car before Santa said, "Ho! Ho! Ho!" There would have been no joy in the start of the season. That is what makes a "Community" so special. I am grateful to everyone I have met over the last two years. Thank you Guilford!
And I just found out we need to all come back to the green on June 27th, our family now qualifies for some cool lottery.....Yay!
What a great picture of getting all of your kids' needs met. Community really is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteAnd listen to those sentences that little-man is saying! yay!